BREEAM Excellent New Build Faculty Building
To deliver a BREEAM Excellent new build and wrap around extension to Grade II Listed Highfield House whilst being sensitive towards one of the university’s oldest buildings, students and staff.
Set in the heart of the University’s bustling main campus Robert Woodhead Limited completed the new home of the the Centre for Advanced Studies (CAS) on time and on budget. Spread over two floors the highly sustainable building will offer open plan interactive and flexible learning space for postgraduate use.
• The extension wraps around grade 11 listed Highfield House, one of the oldest buildings on the University’s Campus.
• The demolition elements of the work were significantly important. As part of our waste management plan we aimed to reuse materials where reasonably practicable, to reduce waste and protect the environment.
• The site access and egress for deliveries and site personnel parking demanded careful logistical consideration to ensure the university remained operational and safe for everyone on campus.
• Working in collaboration to overcome changes in the design, in this case significant mechanical and electrical elements.
• To reduce the impact of the building on the university’s visual environment no site cabins were used. Welfare facilities were located within the existing grade II listed building.
• We received a score of 36 from the Considerate Constructors Scheme to asses our performance as a responsible contractor.
• BREEAM Excellent was attained a by adopting a host of highly sustainable products and technologies, including:
- Low Energy lighting, internally and externally,
- Various water saving features such as dual flushing toilets and sensors
- Local labour is being sourced within 6 miles of the site
- A green roof solution has been used
- Where possible materials have been reclaimed
- Achieving a considerate Constructors Score of 36 provided an extra credit towards BREEAM
We received an outstanding score of 36/40 in the Considerate Constructors Scheme
The project has also been recognised by the following awards:
- Shortlisted for RIBA Award
- Highly Commended in the category of building conservation at the RICS Awards
- Finalist in the National Federation of Builders Award for Heritage Project of the Year
The Client says
“One of the stand out achievements of the scheme so far is definitely the score of 36 in the Considerate Constructors Scheme, this helps the BREEAM Excellent rating and its well deserved for the site team”.
Capital Projects Manager,
University of Nottingham.